Whiteheads: What Are They And How Do We Remove Them?
They are popularly known as pimples. We are talking about a very common kind of acne. Whiteheads are produced when the skin cells begin to keep the follicle from reaching the skin surface. This causes grease and dead skin cells to be trapped below the skin and therefore create the pimple, or zit.
When these uncomfortable pimples grow in size and volume, we feel the need to be rid of them. It is vital not to make a rushed decision and to treat them properly because this is how we avoid skin scars and other consequences on our skin.
What Causes Whiteheads?
Teenagers are especially prone to experience acne. This is when our skin exudes grease the most and pores are often clogged. Millia arrives along with hormonal processes. Menopause, menstruation and pregnancy can also cause hormonal changes, triggering the appearance of whiteheads. It is important to differentiate a whitehead from infected clogged pores. A pimple is the result of the gathering of both skin residue and grease which is under the skin and the more grease and residue it has, the bigger it grows. Also, they are held below the skin and are unable to dry as blackheads or whiteheads do.
More than just grease and residue
There are a few reasons as to why pimples appear and other factors contributing to this. Good news! Most of them can be avoided and be kept under control. These include our habits and diet. Others might require more effort, like hormone activity balance.
Some factors that can prevent whiteheads may include:
- Follicle rupture after popping a pimple
- Excessive use of moisturizers
- Repetitive cycle of skin cleanse
- Humid surroundings
- Direct contact with chemicals like propylene glycol, Isopropyl myristate and tints which are very common to be found on makeup
- A diet filled with dairy, fat and sugar
- A diet which lacks Linoleate which is a kind of salt from the Linoleic acid which is generally found on plant based oils
Some causes which can be challenging or close to impossible to avoid are:
- Having a high level of the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
- Hormonal fluctuations before menstruation
- Producing the inflammatory proteins that are called cytokines by the cells inside a pore
Let’s Expand On Our Available Options To Treat Whiteheads Without Risking Our Skin Health In The Way
There are a few habits we can transform in order to prevent pimples now that we know what causes them.
- A healthy eating habit is key, along with a skin care routine with appropriate products which will not cause stress to our skin or a worse reaction. Remember that an excessive skin cleaning routine does not prevent pimples and it may harm the skin’s pH. This can cause the skin to respond with a bigger release of grease and residue which will only lead to more pimples than before.
- Not oily and non comedogenic makeup is a great step towards treating pimples. These kinds of products do not obstruct our skin pores.
Keep from constantly touching your skin and this applies to the skin area that is the most crowded with pimples, this can only increase residue.
- Now that we have these suggestions we can now move on the good news. Because there are ways to be rid of pimples.
Always Keep your Body Hydrated
Stay hydrated. Other than drinking 2 litres of water a day, you can also take another step on your morning beauty routine which is to add a water-based facial essence. They are just as effective as serums and they regenerate your skin while keeping it hydrated just as needed. They also provide protection from external factors.
Yes, add a hydrating cream to your beauty routine and keep in mind this applies to all kinds of skin. This is a nutritive “extra” added to your skin which can only bring benefits due to the hydrating effect on areas with pimples. And this can also prevent pimples from appearing in the future.
Skin which is not properly hydrated will react with more grease release making it only worse.
A Deep Skin Cleaning
It is important to include in the previous steps a deep skin cleaning. This will help us be rid of residue which only helps pimples to continue to appear. This is residue located on the surface of your skin and they can cause pimples to emerge on that area. It is recommended that one has a deep skin cleansing twice a week.
A facial mask can complement a deep skin cleaning. A clay-based mask for your skin can extract residue from deeper locations inside each pore. Also, clay has many properties which help your skin become more elastic, it can also improve your irrigation and it can help your skin regenerate from the inside out. This will help your skin become softer and glossy. We understand this is not a common ingredient to have in our house, here are some alternatives:
Fenugreek Leaves-based mask
- Fenugreek leaves have many antiseptic, anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Take a handful of these leaves and grind them.
- Add a small amount of water until it becomes a dense yet humid mix and begin to apply on your skin.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes and then remove with fresh water. Repeat this every day and soon you will see the results.
Cornstarch and Apple Vinegar Mask
- Cornstarch helps your skin and absorbs oil residue. If we mix it with apple vinegar it can be a great option in order to combat milia and whiteheads.
- Mix these two ingredients until you get a dense mix and apply it on the affected areas.
- Let the mask sit for 25 minutes and remove it with fresh water.
- Tea-tree oil has many advantages and is often used as a remedy for various skin conditions, like milia and whiteheads. In this case a tea-tree oil mask will work as a disinfectant.
- Wash your face and begin to apply the oil on the area, you can add a little bit of water if your skin is naturally oily.
- Let it sit through the night and wash your face in the morning with fresh water. Repeat this process three to four times a week.
- Steam can help to unclog skin pores and it can remove any residue.
- Add water to your teakettle and wait until it starts boiling.
- Place the water on a plate and cover your head and the plate with a towel.
- Do not have any direct contact with the water, focus on placing your skin on a position where it directly meets the steam.
If treating pimples becomes a daily problem for you, do not hesitate on making an appointment with a professional so you can have access to personalized treatment.